Monday, February 14, 2005

Fucking Computer Standards

Okay, my motherboard is starting to feel its age. I am having trouble getting to the DVD and CD-RW players to show up in Windows (they show up in the BIOS). So I decide to upgrade the computer. A computer show was at the Cow Palace this past weekend. So pack up the kids and head for the show. I look around for bargains, and found out that no one's selling combos. You know, the CPU, mobo and RAM combos. It had made life so much easier. So I had to piece together the hardware. Well it has been awhile since I read up on mobos, CPUs, and RAM. It took a few hours to figure out what I wanted or needed. So I talk with one vendor.

I really wanted to spend only $300. So he added up the pieces, totaling $342. I told him that was a little high, and asked if there were any discounts. He goes away to do some configuring or so I thought because when he came back and showed me the price it was exactly the same! WTF. I calmly said no thanks and walked away.

So now I have to start over. I can tell the kids and the wife wanted to leave because they were bored and hungry. So I went to another vendor and started piecing together another combo. This time I was successful in negotiating a better price $311 for a ASUS AI K8N motherboard, a AMD 64 3000+, and a stick of 512 MB RAM. Sigh. Finally.

No comments: