Okay, so I have new parts to install in my computer. Problem. The power supply is inadequate for the motherboard. Fuck. And my hard drive is failing. Double fuck. Sigh. So I have to wait a little longer. Next day, I visit to the local computer store to return an earlier IDE hard drive purchase, trading it for a serial ATA hard drive since the new mobo allows such a thing. Okay, I return to the car with a new hard drive, a power supply and another stick of 512 MB of RAM. Almost another $300 of computer parts!
Okay, so I am putting the pieces together. My wife tells me that I will have to call Microsoft to reactivate our Windows XP because of the hardware changes. Of course she is right because the prompt comes up. Fuck, I hate calling Microsoft. But this time it is painless and rather easy to do. Finally, I reboot the computer, thinking that the reason I bought these upgrades was to fix the CD/DVD problem. WTF, it didn't work. WTF. What is wrong with the fucking drives. So I throw myself on the floor (after checking to see if my three year old son wasn't lurking) in frustration. After staring at the ceiling for a few hours, I decide to google the problem. I had searched earlier not finding a solution, hence the upgrades.
Then I find it. Something from the Microsoft KB. It states to edit the registry by deleting two values in the Roxio folder. Of course I make a backup of the registry, then deleted the two values, and reboot. The drives came back. THEY FUCKING came back. That Ladies and Gentlemen cost me nearly $600!!!
Update: Now my TDK DVD-RW doesn't want to burn DVDs!! WTF. Sigh. Curse you Bill Gates!
No comments:
Post a Comment